Since keeping a minimum amount in a savings bank account is difficult, many people choose a zero balance savings account where they are not forced to keep a certain balance.
A zero balance savings account is ideal for those who struggle to maintain a minimum balance and earn just enough to fulfill their needs. A zero balance savings account does not need a minimum balance in your bank account.
Many people in our country maintain a savings account to keep their money secure rather than having it in their houses or bringing it about with them. The lender also pays you interest on the money you maintain in your savings account and allows you to withdraw a portion of it or the entire amount whenever and wherever you choose without incurring any fees. But there is one question that many people have: Is there a minimum balance that they must maintain in their savings account?
A minimum balance is a set amount set by the bank that account holders must maintain in their savings account. However, there are a few banks that offer consumers Zero Balance Savings Accounts. Such lenders do not levy any fees for maintaining a zero balance in their account.
Individuals who are about to start on their financial path and are seeking banks that provide Zero Balance Savings Accounts may find this article useful. We will inform you about the best banks in India that provide Zero Balance Savings Accounts. After you've considered all of your alternatives, you'll be able to make a more informed conclusion. Keep on reading!
What is the difference between a zero balance savings account and a regular savings account?
While regular savings bank accounts require users to maintain a specific monthly average balance (MAB), a zero balance account does not.
If you want to open a savings account with any bank and avoid the formality of maintaining a minimum balance, you can choose a zero balance account. In contrast to a regular bank account, bank customers are not required to maintain a minimum average amount with a zero balance saving account.
You can open a zero balance savings account with major banks like ICICI, HDFC, and the state-run State Bank of India (SBI). While regular savings bank accounts require users to maintain a specific monthly average balance (MAB), a zero balance account does not.
The Monthly Average Balance (MAB) is calculated by adding all end-of-day closing balances and dividing by the number of days in the month. You are not required to maintain a minimum amount if you create a savings account with any of the banks that provide zero balance accounts. Zero balance accounts offer the same benefits as conventional savings accounts.
Pros of zero balance savings account
Here are some of the benefits of a zero balance savings account:
- There is no minimum balance requirement: A zero balance account has no minimum balance requirement. In other words, consumers who hold such an account are not required to maintain a specified average monthly amount.
- Net Banking: Account holders with a zero balance can use the Internet Banking service. Customers can then check their balance, transfer funds from one account to another, recharge their mobile phones or DTH, pay bills, and so on.
- Cheque Books: When customers create a basic savings account, they receive a complimentary cheque book. Customers with online zero balance accounts, on the other hand, must pay a small fee for checks. Cheques can be used as a bank identity document.
- Debit card: When a basic savings account is started with a zero-balance savings account, customers receive a free debit card that may be used to withdraw cash and make payments. In the case of an online savings account, account holders may receive a VISA or RuPay debit card, depending on the bank. These debit cards have complimentary insurance coverage.
- Cash withdrawals: Basic savings account users can withdraw up to four times each month, including cash withdrawals through branch, ATM, NEFT, RTGS, IMPS, and other methods.
- Student Friendly: I'm aware that some banks provide student accounts, but this account isn't a terrible alternative. Furthermore, pupils struggle to keep up. They would save Rs 100–200 for non-maintenance and spend it elsewhere, such as a restaurant.
- Virtual Debits: are typically associated with accounts that have a zero balance.
- Zero balance accounts also provide yearly interest rates of up to 5%.
Cons of a Zero Balance Savings Account
- They have transactional restrictions. If you do more transactions than the specified limit, you will be charged an amount. If you make additional transactions, you will be charged, which is just as exhausting as a regular savings account.
- Amount of cash deposits is limited; if you deposit more than the limit, you will be charged again.
- Fees for IMPS and NEFT
- Physical debit card and chequebook fees
- If you deposit a substantial sum of money, your account may be frozen (A six figure amount in most cases)
Keep these documents ready before opting for online KYC
Anyone with a valid KYC document can start a zero balance savings account via using video KYC from their mobile phone. The following documents are necessary to open an account:
- Your Aadhaar Card (Linked with Mobile Number)
- Your PAN card
- Your mobile phone
- A white sheet and a pen
The following is a list of the Top Zero-Balance Savings Accounts for Indian Citizens.
1. AU Small Finance Bank Zero Balance Account Savings Account
AU Small Finance Bank provides AU Abhi Savings Account with Zero Balance Maintenance Account that focuses on particular customer needs such as Instant Digital Account, Virtual Free Debit Card, NetBanking and Mobile Banking Facilities, Monthly Interest Pay on your deposit, and more.
AU Small Finance Bank provides a variety of savings accounts that allow customers to deposit money, keep it secure, and withdraw it while earning interest.
It offers a savings account tailored to the demands of a specific customer base and meets their needs. For example, it gives the Premium savings account to its high-end customers and the Minor savings account to minors under 18.
AU Small Finance Bank Zero Balance Account Features
- Instant Savings Account
- Bank offers monthly interest payout
- Zero Balance Account
- Free Virtual Debit Card
- Domestic Airport Lounge Access
- High-interest rates
2. Axis ASAP Zero Balance Savings Account
Axis Bank now provides a new variety of savings accounts, the Axis ASAP Digital Account, which can be created in four simple steps with video KYC without visiting a bank. You only need to give your Aadhaar card, PAN card, and other demographic information.
The ASAP account from Axis Bank is a digital-only account that provides all of the features of a traditional savings account. Set objectives, earn rewards, and maximize your banking experience from the convenience of your own home.
Axis ASAP Zero Balance Account Features
- Exclusive cashback
- Earn points, avail rewards
- Auto FD feature
- Set and achieve goals
- Minimal documentation
3. Kotak 811 Zero Balance Savings Bank Account
This Kotak Mahindra Bank Zero Balance Savings Account, also known as the Kotak 811 Digital Bank Account, can be created from anywhere with just a phone call.
There is no charge if you fail to maintain any balance in your savings account. This might be the best option for you, with interest rates fixed at 3.50 % - 4.00 % per annum on balances above INR 1 lakh.
Kotak 811 Features:
- Instant Account Opening
- No minimum balance requirement
- Earn Interest
- Free Virtual Debit Card
- Receive money from side hustle
- Paperless account process
- Video KYC facility
4. Jupiter Zero Balance Account
Jupiter Money, in cooperation with Federal Bank, offers a no-fee, zero-balance savings account. It's being built by trusted people, including CEO Jitendra Gupta, who founded Citrus Pay and sold it in 2016.
Jupiter members receive a free VISA Signature debit card with no joining or annual fees. Furthermore, it provides 1% cash back on debit cards and UPI purchases at verified merchants, followed by 5% cashback on international transactions (3.5 percent forex charges).
The app is extremely user-friendly and includes features such as checking your net worth, i.e., the balance of all your bank accounts, active loans, and a real-time breakdown of all your spending for the month.
Furthermore, there is a one-of-a-kind Pots account where you can save money for your financial goals. It also has quick and responsive customer service as well as an active community. With all of its benefits and features, Jupiter is the best Neobank app in India.
Jupiter Zero Balance Account Features
- UPI payments are completely free (no limits)
- 1% cash back on debit card and UPI purchases
- Debit card with VISA Signature for free (free replacement)
- Monitor your spending and net worth.
- Chat support is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
5. NiyoX Digital Savings Bank Account
NiyoX is a digital banking app aimed to demystify banking for millennials, developed by Indian neo-banking pioneer Niyo in partnership with Equitas Small Finance Bank and VISA.
It is the first product of its type in India, offering a combined 2-in-1 savings and wealth management account to assist you to meet your savings objectives. You no longer need to use two different applications to handle your finances.
Since its launch in March 2021, the NiyoX digital banking app has expanded at a rapid rate to 10L+ active users, with a new account opening every 30 seconds. NiyoX, with the potential to serve 26000+ pin codes across India, intends to deliver financial services to consumers in the country's most remote regions, reaching the most underbanked.
NiyoX Savings Account Features:
- Accounts are opened completely paperless and instantly.
- The interest rate of up to 7% on savings account balances
- Rewards & Referrals Bonus
- Free Virtual Debit Card
- Savings and wealth management solution in one
- There is Zero forex markup
- Onboarding over the internet
6. Fi Money
Fi is a financial app designed for working professionals that includes a savings account with zero balance. It allows you to keep track of your spending, grow your money, and organize your funds. It also offers novel characteristics that have the potential to change the way money is handled in the banking world.
Fi enables better banking. It raises the bar for banking by offering a highly personalized money-management system. With Fi, you not only receive a bank account but also a lot of other benefits.
Fi Money Features:
- The annual interest rate of 2.5 % on your Fi Money Savings Bank Account
- Fixed deposit interest rates are 5.1 % each year
- There are no account minimums or fees for account maintenance
- There is no Forex markup or foreign transaction fees
- Free ATM withdrawals from Federal Bank ATMs are unlimited
- 5 ATM withdrawals from non-Federal Bank ATMs are free. After that, it's a flat fee of Rs. 20 for every transaction
- Using INTERNATIONAL ATMs to withdraw cash costs Rs. 100 for each transaction
- Replacement Fi Money VISA Debit Card costs Rs.250
- There are no transaction fees for IMPS, UPI, NEFT, or RTGS
- SMS, email, and mobile banking updates are all free of charge
- Monthly account statements are delivered digitally through email
- Every six months, you will receive one free cheque book with five cheque leaves
- There are no demand drafts fees up to 1 lakh every quarter. Above that, there is Rs. 300 fees
7. Equitas Selfe Savings digital bank account
Selfe Savings is a digital bank account that can be started using an Aadhaar number, a PAN number, and other basic information.
When you create an Equitas Selfe zero balance savings account using video KYC, you receive all of the benefits of Selfe as opposed to the partial KYC account. You may create a mobile banking PIN and begin using your account right away.
Selfe Savings Account key Features:
- Your account is opened absolutely free of charge
- There is no account maintenance fees
- When you create this account, you will receive a debit card entirely free of charge
- You can use Net Banking, Check Book, NEFT, and Mobile Banking if you want
- In addition, Equitas Small Savings Finance Bank provides other banking services
- You can also select your bank account number at your own
- Above all, you can create an Equitas Small Finance Bank Zero Balance account online from your mobile phone at any time and from any place
8. IndusInd Delite Savings Bank Account
You can have a Zero Balance Savings Account that meets your demands with the Indus Online Zero Balance Account.
When you create this account, you will receive an outstanding Premium Debit Card that will provide you with rewards in a variety of categories like entertainment, shopping, and so on, both online and offline. Your account will be opened immediately if you have your Aadhaar Card and PAN Card.
Key Features of Indus Delite Savings Bank Account:
- It is a savings account with a zero balance
- You can earn up to 6% interest on your Saving Bank account balance
- The account opening process is fully paperless and digital
- With your Platinum Plus debit card, you will receive complimentary insurance worth Rs. 35.5L
- Get free e-statements to keep track of your finances with monthly e-statements
- Free movie tickets, dining promos, retail discounts, and other special deals are available
- 6x Rewards on Debit Card Spending
- When you shop on Amazon., you will receive Upto 5% cashback
9. ICICI Bank MINE Account
The ICICI Bank zero balance account is a savings account for individuals who want to open a new bank account with no minimum average balance.
Using his/her Aadhaar and PAN card, a millennial can easily open a savings account completely digitally and instantly on the Bank's website or iMobile application. Customers immediately receive an account number and a virtual debit card, which they can use to begin transacting and making payments online.
ICICI Bank offers the country's first Flexi-plan credit card, allowing 'ICICI Bank MINE' customers to select a plan each month to suit their lifestyle and monthly needs. They can select a plan from a selection of three by simply clicking on iMobile.
ICICI Bank MINE Account Features
- It is an ICICI Bank Zero Balance Savings Account
- A free in-app budget analyzer that can help you better plan your budget
- Money multiplier: Earn more interest by establishing a balance limit above which money in the Savings Account will be converted into FD on demand
- Cardless Cash Withdrawal Service with complimentary Rs. 50,000 air accidents and Rs. 50,000 purchase protection
- The app offers a wide range of investment options
10. SBI zero balance savings account
The Basic Savings Bank Deposit (BSBD) account, also known as the State Bank of India's (SBI) zero balance savings account, is designed as a savings account that provides certain minimum facilities to account holders for free.
These accounts are primarily aimed at increasing financial inclusion among economically disadvantaged groups. SBI has clarified the charges levied on account holders for digital transactions in BSBD accounts that exceed the four free transactions.
Even when the account is opened, there is no requirement for a minimum balance, and the customer receives an ATM/debit card free of charge. The deposit and withdrawal services are both free of charge. Furthermore, the bank cannot impose fees for non-operation or activation of an inactive account.
SBI Zero Balance Account Features
- Accessible at all branches
- The minimum balance is nil
- Maximum balance/amount has no upper limit
- There is no Cheque Book facility available
- Withdrawals can only be made at branches or through ATMs using the withdrawal form
- A standard Rupay ATM/debit card will be issued
11. Fincare Small Finance Bank 101-First Savings Account
Fincare Small Finance Bank provides 101 First Savings Accounts with no minimum balance requirements. You will receive an Instant Savings Account as well as a High-Interest Rate on savings and fixed deposits with this digital savings account.
Fincare Small Finance Bank provides attractive rates on savings accounts, including the 101 Savings Account. It provides high interest rates of up to 7.50 percent on balances exceeding Rs.20 crores. The savings account's starting interest rate is 6%, and it is available for deposits of up to Rs.1 lakh.
101-First Zero Balance Account Features
- Account with a zero balance
- Attractive Interest Rates
- Free Mobile Banking Activation
- Free Debit Card
- Fixed Deposit Option